The Sustainability Scorecard shows our performance across a range of economic, social and environmental indicators.
Unit of measure
|Product manufactured for sale
|Direct GHG Emissions (Scope 1)||
|Indirect GHG Emissions (Scope 2)
|Total GHG emissions1||2,705,450||2,760,263||3,086,553|
|Approximate proportion of energy
derived from fossil fuels2
|Global direct energy consumption||GJ||44,070,102
|Gross water use||GL||41.63||43.8||47.6|
|Net water use5||GL||10.53
|Global Solid Waste||kt||7.6||8.3||6.5|
|Australian Solid Waste||kt||4.1||3.5||4.1|
|Global solid chemical waste||kt||2,177.5||2,134.3||2,224.6|
|Australian solid chemical waste||kt||2,177.3||2,133.2
|Global Liquid waste||ML||15.2||14.3||15.2|
|Australian liquid waste||ML||13.7||9.7||10.7|
|Environmental Incident Frequency Rate (EIFR)6||0.75||0.32||0.49|
|Total Recordable Injury Rate (TRIFR)7||0.738
|Total workforce (excluding contractors)||4,721
|Gender - Diversity (% of women)|
|Direct Economic Value Generated and Distributed (AUD$Mil)|
|A. Direct economic value generated|
|B. Economic value distributed||3,630.9||3,531.4||3,529.5|
|Operating costs, including payments to suppliers, non-strategic investments and royalties
|Employee wages and benefits: total monetary outflows for employees (current payments, not future commitments)||633.7||636.7
|Payments to providers of capital, including dividends and interest||194.5
|Government taxes (TOTAL) (income tax, payroll tax, Australian goods and services, fringe benefits taxes and Australian fuel tax credits)||192.7||235.1||151.2|
|Voluntary community investments (including donations of cash, in-kind support and employee time)||0.4||0.3||0.4|
|C. Economic value retained (A-B)||53.0||(141.0)
|Government taxes paid per country (AUD$Mil)|
|Papua New Guinea||1.9||1.3||1.3|
1. Scope 1 + 2.
2. Excluding natural gas and diesel used as production raw material.
3. Restated due to improvements in cooling water data collection systems.
4. Includes stormwater at sites where it is captured and treated along with other discharge before release.
5. Gross water use minus clean water discharge.
6. Number of environmental incidents per 1,000,000 man hours worked which exceed licence conditions and create a material or off-site environmental impact with a consequence category of 3 and above; have resulted in a regulator (e.g. EPA) fine of any value; or are a community complaint that stops production.
7. Total Recordable Injury Frequency Rate: the number of recordable injuries per 200,000 hours worked; includes contractors unless otherwise indicated.
8. Restated due to finalisation of classification of incidents pending at the time of previous publication dates.
9. Subject to finalisation of classification of any pending incidents.
10. J Fazzino, Managing Director & CEO was classified as a Board member.
11. Defined as roles which are 1–2 levels below the Executive Team.
12. Defined as roles that are 3–4 levels below the Executive Team.
13. Volatility in Australian taxes paid year on year is due to changes in IPL’s Australian business earnings.