About the Data
This Report covers wholly owned subsidiaries of Incitec Pivot Limited, ACN 42 004 080 264.
The Company is a public company, trading on the Australian Securities Exchange as IPL.
In accordance with Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) 'G4' Sustainability Reporting Guidelines, our reporting covers all entities that generate significant sustainability impacts (actual and potential) and over which we exercise control or significant influence with regard to financial and operating policies and practices.
The statistics in our reporting are for global sites wholly owned by IPL during that period. Joint ventures are not covered in our reporting, unless indicated, nor are the activities of suppliers, customers or outsourced operations.
The Company participates in many joint ventures with varying levels of ownership interest. A list is provided on page 67 of our 2016 Annual Report.
All financial figures in the Report are in Australian dollars, unless otherwise indicated.
The financial year ending 30 September 2016 is indicated as '2016' in this Report.
Data measurement and calculations
Financial data: Financial figures are derived from our audited accounts, which are prepared according to the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
Greenhouse Gas Emissions data: Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions are calculated based on the Greenhouse Gas Protocol: A Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard (Revised Edition).
Australian Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions:
• National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting (Measurement) Determination 2008
• National Greenhouse Accounts (NGA) Factors (2016).
Americas Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions:
• US Electricity: eGRID2012 (2015 Version) Year 2012 GHG Annual Output Emission Rates
• US Fuels: IPCC, Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories (2006)
• Canada Fuels: Default CO2 Emission Factors: Environment Canada, National Inventory Report, 1990–2007: Greenhouse Gas Sources and Sinks in Canada (2009), Annex 12: Emission Factors, Table
A12-5 (1998– 2007 data); Default Heat Content: Statistics Canada, Report on Energy Supply-demand in Canada, 2007 (2009)
• Canada Electricity: Canadian Energy Issues: http://canadianenergyissues.com/ontario-power-stats/)
• Mexico Electricity: Ecometrica Technical Paper: Electricity-specific emission factors for grid electricity (2011) Brander, Sood, Wylie, Haughton, and Lovell at https://ecometrica.com/assets/Electricity-specific-emission-factors-for-grid-electricity.pdf.
European Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions:
• 2011 Guidelines to DEFRA/DECC’s GHG Conversion Factors for Company Reporting – Produced by AEA for the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) in the UK. Version: 1.2
Changes during the period
During 2016 we restructured our global operations into two businesses, Asia Pacific and Americas, which share a common nitrogen manufacturing core. Both businesses serve three sectors: Explosives, Industrial Chemicals, and Fertilisers. During the reporting period, the workforce was reduced by 137 employees. See 'Workforce Planning' under Managing Our Workforce for details.
IPL’s 2015 gross water use has been restated from 40,172 ML to 41,591 ML due to improvements in cooling water data collection systems. For the same reason, net global water use for 2015 has also been restated from 9,477 ML to 10,477 ML.
Assurance and data integrity
We aim to ensure that the information we publish is accurate, complete and material and therefore contributes to building trust and credibility with stakeholders. To achieve this we have improved our internal processes for verifying non-financial management information and for reviewing and approving the content of our reporting.
Deloitte provided a limited assurance statement on our Australian greenhouse gas emissions, energy consumption and production figures for the period 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016. (Deloitte are independent auditors who also audit our financial statements. See pages 42 and 82-83 of the 2016 IPL Annual Report.) IPL is not currently seeking an extension in the scope of assurance for this annual online Sustainability Report.