The Sustainability Scorecard shows our performance across a range of economic, social and environmental indicators.
Unit of measure
|Direct GHG Emissions (Scope 1)||
|Indirect GHG Emissions (Scope 2)
|Total GHG emissions1||2.6||2.8||2.7|
|Approximate proportion of energy
derived from fossil fuels2
|Global direct energy consumption||GJ||41,248,949
|Gross water use||GL||43.4||41.63||43.8|
|Net water use||GL||11.8||10.53
|Global Solid Waste||kt||13.5||7.6||3.5|
|Australian Solid Waste||kt||4.4||4.1||4.1|
|Global solid chemical waste||kt||1,470.4||2,177.5||2,134.3|
|Australian solid chemical waste||kt||1,470.2||2,177.3
|Global Liquid waste||ML||23.5||15.2||14.3|
|Australian liquid waste||ML||12.9||13.7||9.7|
incidents (Category 2+)4
|Loss of containment (Category 2+)4||239||200||191|
|Environmental Incident Frequency Rate (EIFR)5||-||0.75||0.32|
|Total Recordable Injury Rate (TRIFR)||0.97
|Total workforce (excluding contractors)||4,977
|Gender - Diversity (% of women)|
|Direct Economic Value Generated and Distributed (A$Mil)|
|A. Direct economic value generated|
|B. Economic value distributed||3,570.0||3,630.9||3,531.4|
|Operating costs, including payments to suppliers, non-strategic investments and royalties
|Employee wages and benefits: total monetary outflows for employees (current payments, not future commitments)||583.2
|Payments to providers of capital, including dividends and interest||152.0
|Government taxes (TOTAL) (income tax, payroll tax, Australian goods and services, fringe benefits taxes and Australian fuel tax credits)||163.6||192.7||235.1|
|Voluntary community investments (including donations of cash, in-kind support and employee time)||0.3||0.4||0.3|
|C. Economic value retained (A-B)||(169.8)||53.0||(141.0)|
|Government taxes paid by country (A$Mil)|
|Papua New Guinea||1.64||1.9||1.3|
|Tonnes of Product Supplied (million tonnes)|
1. Scope 1 + 2.
2. Excluding natural gas and diesel used as production raw material.
3. Restated due to improvements in cooling water data collection systems.
4. Includes both environmental non-compliance and internal non-conformance incidents.
5. Number of environmental incidents per 1,000,000 man hours worked which exceed licence conditions and create a material or off-site environmental impact with a consequence category of 3 and above; have resulted in a regulator (e.g. EPA) fine of any value; or are a community complaint that stops production.
6. J. Fazzino, Managing Director and CEO, is classified as a Board member.