About the Data
This Report covers wholly owned subsidiaries of Incitec Pivot Limited, ACN 42 004 080 264.
The Company is a public company, trading on the Australian Securities Exchange as IPL.
In accordance with Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) 'G4' Sustainability Reporting Guidelines, our reporting covers all entities that generate significant sustainability impacts (actual and potential) and over which we exercise control or significant influence with regard to financial and operating policies and practices.
The statistics in our reporting are for global sites wholly owned by IPL during that period. Joint ventures are not covered in our reporting, unless indicated, nor are the activities of suppliers, customers or outsourced operations.
The Company participates in many joint ventures with varying levels of ownership interest. A list is provided on page 70 of our 2015 Annual Report.
All financial figures in the Report are in Australian dollars, unless otherwise indicated.
The financial year ending 30 September 2015 is indicated as 2015 in this report.
Data measurement and calculations
Financial data: Financial figures are derived from our audited accounts, which are prepared according to the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
Greenhouse Gas Emissions data: Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions are calculated based on the Greenhouse Gas Protocol: A Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard (Revised Edition).
Australian Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions:
• National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting (Measurement) Determination 2008
• National Greenhouse Accounts (NGA) Factors (2014).
Americas Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions:
• US Electricity: eGRID2007 Version 1.1 Year 2005 GHG Annual Output Emission Rates
• US Fuels: IPCC, Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories (2006)
• Canada Fuels: Default CO2 Emission Factors: Environment Canada, National Inventory Report, 1990–2007: Greenhouse Gas Sources and Sinks in Canada (2009), Annex 12: Emission Factors, Table
A12-5 (1998– 2007 data); Default Heat Content: Statistics Canada, Report on Energy Supply-demand in Canada, 2007 (2009)
• Canada Electricity: Greenhouse Gas Division, Environment Canada (2006 data)
• Mexico Electricity: Emission rates include emissions of CO2, CH4, and N2O. Factors are a national average of all the power plants operating and delivering electricity to the National Electric System and do not include transmission and distribution losses. Source: Asociación de Técnicos y Profesionistas en Aplicación Energética (ATPAE), 2003, Metodologías para calcular el Coeficiente de Emisión Adecuado para Determinar las Reducciones de GEI Atribuibles a Proyectos
de EE/ER – Justificación para la selección de la Metodología, versión final 4.1 (junio de 2003), proyecto auspiciado por la Agencia Internacional de Estados Unidos para el Desarrollo Internacional, México, D.F., México.
European Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions:
• 2011 Guidelines to DEFRA/DECC’s GHG Conversion Factors for Company Reporting – Produced by AEA for the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) in the UK. Version: 1.2
Changes during the period
There were no changes to the organisational structure or size during the reporting period.
We have restated our TRIFR for 2012/13 from 1.16 to 1.20 due to finalisation of incident classifications.
Assurance and data integrity
We aim to ensure that the information we publish is accurate, complete and material and therefore contributes to building trust and credibility with stakeholders. To achieve this we have improved our internal processes for verifying non-financial management information and for reviewing and approving the content of our reporting.
Deloitte provided a limited assurance statement on our Australian greenhouse gas emissions, energy consumption and production figures for the period 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2015. (Deloitte are independent auditors who also audit our financial statements. See pages 73 and 74 of the 2015 IPL Annual Report.) IPL is not currently seeking an extension in the scope of assurance for this annual online Sustainability Report.