|IPL understands that long term and meaningful relationships with our communities are fundamental to maintaining our social licence to operate and believe we have a responsibility to make a positive social and economic contribution. As an international industrial chemicals company with operations in many countries, we take a grass-roots approach to community engagement.|
Community investment and engagement decisions are made locally, where community needs are best understood, and are guided by a Group-wide governance framework.
We are committed to building long term and meaningful relationships with the communities in which we operate in accordance with our Value of “Care for the Community & our Environment”. We actively engage with community members and representatives of national and international charities, regulators, Governments and grass-roots community organisations including resident groups, councils, farmers, sporting clubs and environmental groups.
We aim to have a positive impact by working closely with community representatives, providing local employment and selecting local suppliers wherever possible. We empower our people to engage with their local communities and seek to mitigate negative impacts and create positive perceptions and outcomes for our business.
Our Sustainable Communities Policy defines our approach to community relations, including commitments to:
• Listen to and work with the community;
• Strive to be a valued corporate citizen; and
• Respect our neighbours, their values and cultural heritage, and be considerate of them in carrying out our operations.
Day-to-day responsibility for assessing our community impacts and implementing community engagement programs rests with local management at each of our sites, as our site managers best understand their needs and concerns. Local priorities are informed by our Community HSEC Standard, which sets our minimum requirements for engagement. Governance of our community investment programs is overseen by the Executive Team.
Key Challenges and Opportunities
• Ensuring alignment of our community activities to our Principles for Giving across our global operations
• Maintaining our social licence to operate with the inherent risks associated with chemical manufacture, storage and transport
• Building our reputation as an employer of choice in the community
We will continue to improve our approach to community engagement, including:
• Continuing to develop a Group-wide approach to community relations and embedding principles of community engagement at business unit and site level
• Understanding and working to address the impacts we have on our communities
• Embedding the principles of our Community Investment Framework within the ongoing operations of our businesses and functions